Midshipman, Engineering Corps
This mod is currently outdated. I'm working on remaking it to support the latest version of Airships - 3/27/2015
I have been working on a mod for Airships for a few days now. With the new update allowing me to provide such mods(v3.4), I can now show you guys what I have been making so you can try it out for yourself if you feel like it.
Here is what the mod has to offer:
All features from this mod will be disabled when you enter multiplayer and re-enabled respectively when you exit(even features that have no relation to multiplayer for good measure, which is about everything currently in the mod so far)
Every feature will be optional. If you don't like it, disable it on the mod menu. All changes you make will stay the same if you restart the game.
There may be unforeseen bugs created by this mod that could crash the game. If you find anything that you find to be an issue with the mod itself, tell me below so I could possibly fix it.
You will be able to open the menu on the main menu(top of the screen) or the in-game menu. This holds all the options for the mod. The menu button is titled "Extras mod."
The relationship system is currently not that advanced. There are three relations: Neutral, enemy and ally. Neutral is where if another empire decides to attack you, they are going to re think that. They have a 70% chance of attacking you(configurable in mod menu). If an empire that is an enemy towards you decides to attack you, they will(just like it would be without the relations system). Enemy empires prefer to attack their enemies and have an 80% chance of attacking one of their enemies(configurable).
The ally relation can only either be bought($5000), or to impress another empire. If you take one of their enemies off the board, they may be allies(or neutral if you were enemies with the empire) with you by a 30% chance(configurable). Allies never attack you. The game will win if you destroy all factions that are not allied with you.
City menu to be able to pay off an empire or see a list of enemies and shows you what the enemy list looks like:
Look at cities to find your standing with another empire:
You're able to edit the specific options in-game or on the main menu(settings button opens this):
Currently, this only works with ships, not defenses.
Instead of the menu closing when you hit the "Build" button, it stays open. This allows you to build as many ships as you please. When you're done planning out what ships you want built, hit the "Return" button to get back to the game.
Once the first ship is done getting built, it will go to the next. If you don't have enough money for that ship at the time it starts to build, it will remove it from the build queue and continue to the next ship(if you have another one in the queue).
I don't really know a good way to show the queue without getting in the way of the preview. So right now, it is just a list of buttons on the bottom of the screen. All you have to do is click the button of the ship you want removed from the queue so it will not be built anymore.
It goes from left to right. So the first button on the far left is the first ship to be built and the one on the far right is the last ship to be built.
Why would someone make such things? Well, I first made them to make it easier when I wanted to test features and fix some issues with the decompiled code. Then I decided, why not just keep them in so if people want to screw around or just to see what they can do, let them.(All features(including cheats) are disabled when entering multiplayer)
All cheats are disabled by default. If you want to enable them, go to the mod menu(see how to find it above), and click the "Enable cheats" button. You will notice that the buttons on the top right(buttons after Cheats:) are now enabled. These are the specific cheats that you can enable/disable if you don't want a certain cheat enabled.
Here is a list of cheats in the mod currently:
Well, that is what I have made so far. If you want to try it out, follow the download link or click here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me below.
Download link: click here
If you have any suggestions to add to the mod, please do make a post below!
This mod is currently outdated. I'm working on remaking it to support the latest version of Airships
Remember: All percentages are customizable from 0-100
In the mod menu, there is a settings button that you can click and it comes up with more options that you can change. Here is a description of each one and what it does:
"% chance of attacking as neutral"
So, whenever a neutral faction picks you to attack, he is going to re-consider attacking you. The default percentage is 70%. So lets say I was chosen to be attacked by the enemy. I have a 70% chance of getting attacked(or 30% chance of not getting attacked) rather than no chance at all.
"% chance of empire being your enemy"
When you first start your game, all the relations are starting to be generated. So when the empire is getting ready to choose one of the two states(neutral or enemy, but not ally), it gives it a %40 chance to be your enemy when you start the game.
"% chance of empire relation upgrade"
Whenever you attack a city, it is owned by another empire. If you win and that was the last city of the empire owning it, they are no longer in play. That empire had enemies and your relationship could potentially get better(enemy -> neutral, neutral -> ally). Each time you knock an empire off the game, its enemies have a 30% chance of increasing their relationship with you.
"% chance to go after an enemy first"
Each empire has enemies and the rest are neutral(the AI don't have allies. At least not yet). There is an 80% chance that they will focus on one of their enemies. If they don't go for an enemy, they will go for the neutral empires.
Awesome! I have to become asleep now, but I will try it out upon the morrow. I'll also be giving some more details on how modding works / the general modding conditions.
Obviously, mods are used at your own risk, and I can't offer tech support for them - but I am very excited about this development! :D
I hope you like the mod and hopefully it will not crash and fall down because of something I might have forgot. xD
I did test all the features before doing posting this, but one can never be sure.
Well, I've tried it out now, and it works very well from what I can see. :)
Do you have future plans for the mod?
Actually, I do have some plans for the mod. Not sure how they will turn out or if they will work, but I do have plans for it. I will update the thread about what I am planning on adding to the mod.
Added the current plans of my mod to the main post.
Just updated the mod and added in an "export ships" and an "export defenses" button on the mod menu!
Captain, Engineering Corps
You should update this to dev 4! this looks like a great mod :)
I Tried out the mod, it sounds great but whenever i open up my game with the mod installed it just crashes. I have check and made sure that the mod is the reason why the game crashes. Do you know how to get around this problem?
This mod is extremely outdated. It should work with the 3.4 version of Airships still, if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah, really need some kind of versioning/compatibility system for mods. But then the interest in making mods seems to have died down again for now. A bit of a chicken-and-egg problem, really. :)
In the long run, I still wonder whether it's better to stick with the "just hack the source code" approach or to try and put as much as possible into data files so people can make somewhat limited mods in a straightforward fashion...
I personally like having no limits of what I can do when making a mod. :)
Are you ever going to update this when they fix mods in the newest version.
I had some things to take care of, but I'm free to do what I'd like again. I will see what I can do of updating this mod/possible additions that would sound cool to me if I get accepted into the program.
If there isn't an update for the mod, is there a way I can go back to the old versions of airships?
I was accepted into the modding program, so I'm currently working on updating the mod to the newest version of the game.
Either way, you could go to the downloads page here and go to the 3.4 version, but I personally wouldn't recommend downgrading.